pel (from stem pel- “go round, revolve”) + ar(a) (“royal, noble”) + cîr (pl. of cair “ship”)
noun. harbour of royal ships
place name. Garth of Royal Ships
A Gondorian city at the mouth of the Anduin (LotR/789), translated “Garth of Royal Ships” (RC/535), a combination of pêl “fenced field”, the prefix ar(a)- “royal” and the lenited form of the plural cîr of cair “ship” (RC/625).
Conceptual Development: In Lord of the Rings drafts from the 1940s, this name first appeared as N. Pelargir (WR/268).
Word Gloss pêl “*fenced field, [N.] fenced field” ar(a)- “noble, royal, high” cair “ship”
- pelArgir ✧ LotR/1116