Predecessor to the name S. Erchamion. In The Etymologies, the form Ermab(r)in “One-handed” was marked Ilkorin (Ety/MAP), and the similar form Ermabuin from the narratives may also be Ilkorin, since it appeared beside the Ilkorin name Mablosgen “Empty-handed” (LR/131). This name is a compound of er “one”, mâb “hand” and a variation of the adjective suffix -en. The u might be explained as a fossilized dual element [u], but the absence of this vowel in The Etymologies may mean that Tolkien rejected it in the Ilkorin form of the name.
masculine name. One-handed
- Ermab(r)in ✧ Ety/MAP
- Ermabin ✧ EtyAC/MAP (Dor.
- Ermabuin → Erchamui ✧ LR/146
- Ermabuin → Erchamui “One-handed” ✧ LR/405
- Ermabuin → Erchamion ✧ SMI/Erchamion
- Ermabuin → Erchamion ✧ SMI/Ermabwed
- N. Erchamion “One-handed” ✧ Ety/MAP
Word Gloss er “one” mâb “hand” -en “adjectival suffix”