A word for “sky” in an early name list from the 1910s and appearing in a couple early names: G. Thlim Quing Ilon “✱Folk of the Heavenly Arc” and G. Cris o Teld Quing Ilon “Gully of the Rainbow Roof” (PE13/101, 104), the latter revised to G. Cris Ilbranteloth (LT2/202). In the contemporaneous Gnomish Lexicon, however, G. Ilon was the name of Ilúvatar (GL/50).
- Eq. taime “sky” ✧ LT1A/Telimektar
- ᴱ√DAHA “*high” ✧ LT1A/Telimektar
Development Stages Sources ᴱ√TAHA > dai [daxa] > [dax] > [dai] ✧ LT1A/Telimektar
- dai ✧ LT1A/Telimektar; PE13/112
adverb. very, exceedingly
- dai ✧ PE13/112
- Eq. tá “high; high above, high up” ✧ LT1A/Qalmë-Tári
- G. Danigwethil ✧ GL/29; LT1A/Taniquetil
Development Stages Sources ᴱ√TAHA > dâ [daxā] > [daxa] > [dā] ✧ LT1A/Qalmë-Tári ᴱ✶daga- > da [dagā] > [daga] > [daɣa] > [dā] ✧ PE13/112 ᴱ✶dagain > dagīn > dain [dagain] > [dagīn] > [daɣīn] > [dain] ✧ PE13/112
- da ✧ PE13/112
adverb. far away
Development Stages Sources ᴱ✶ṇ̄dai > annai [ṇ̄dai] > [andai] > [annai] ✧ GL/19
- ᴱ√ILU “ether, the slender airs among the stars”
- Ilon ✧ LT2A/Teld Quing Ilon; PE13/104; PE13/104; PE15/27 (
A word for “sky” in the Gnomish Lexicon of the 1910s, an elaboration of G. lui “blueness” (GL/55).