thingolmasculine name. Grey-wise
A Doriathrin adjective for “grey” written heðu in The Etymologies, and derived from the primitive form ᴹ✶khithwa [kʰitʰwa] (Ety/KHIS). This word illustrates several interesting phonetic changes in Ilkorin.
- The [i] became [e] before the final [a].
- Both the : [kʰ-] > [x-] and [-tʰ-] > [-θ-].
Later the . Meanwhile the medial [-θ-] voiced to [-ð-] (“dh”).
- Later the .
- Meanwhile the medial [-θ-] voiced to [-ð-] (“dh”).
- The primitive final [a] was lost.
- Afterwards, the resulting final [w] became [u].
In most other Doriathrin words, a final [u] from [w] further developed into [o]; it is unclear why this change did not occur here.