marto (2) noun "fortune, fate, lot" (LT2:348); cf. marta # 3 and see mart-.
fortune, fate, lot
- S. barad “tower, great towering building, tower, great towering building, [N.] fort, fortress” ✧ NM/228; PE17/066
- √M(B)ARAT “doom, fate” ✧ NM/228
- √MBAR “settle, dwell; establish, fix, decide, determine, make a decision, settle; establish, fix, decide, determine, make a decision; dwell, [ᴹ√] inhabit, [ᴱ√] live”
- √BARAT “lofty, high, height combined with strength/size/majesty” ✧ PE17/066
- √BAR “[ᴹ√] raise; uplift, save, rescue(?)”
Development Stages Sources √BAR-AT > marto [mbarto] > [marto] ✧ PE17/066
amarto noun "Fate" (also ambar) (LT2:348; in LotR-style Quenya rather umbar, umbart-)
piece of luck
mart noun "a piece of luck" (LT2:348; in LotR-style Quenya, no word can end in -rt. Read marto, as in LT2:348?)
marta (3) noun "fate" (VT45:33, VT46:13) Cf. marto.
ambar (2) noun "fate, doom" (variant of umbar?) in Turambar (SA:amarth); stem ambart- (PE17:66), instrumental ambartanen "by doom" (Silm ch. 21, UT:138, PE17:66). The early "Qenya" lexicon has ambar "Fate", also amarto (LT2:348)
umbar (umbart-, as in dat.sg. umbarten) noun "fate, doom" (MBARAT), also name of tengwa #6 (Appendix E).Cf. Umbarto. In the pre-classical Tengwar system presupposed in the Etymologies, umbar was the name of letter #18 (VT45:33), which tengwa Tolkien would later call malta instead changing its Quenya value from mb to m. In the word Tarumbar "King of the World" (q.v.), umbar appears to be a variant of Ambar (q.v.) instead.
tarminas noun "tower" etc. (Sindarin barad); see taras (PE17:22)
turco ("k") (2) noun "tower". In Lúnaturco, Quenya name of Barad-dûr (Dark Tower). Tolkien changed the word turco from turma (PE17:22).
[turma] (2) noun "tower". Tolkien changed this word to turco (#2), q.v. (PE17:22)
heren (2) noun "fortune", etymologically "governance" ("and so what is in store for one and what one has in store") (KHER).Herendil masc. name *"Fortune-friend" = Eadwine, Edwin, _Audoin(LR:52, 56, cf. the Etymologies, stems KHER-, NIL/NDIL)_
marto (1) noun "tower" (PE17:66)